A lot of things happened in 2017! So, as per my usual yearly recap, I’d like to share some of the exciting stuff that happened in 2017 with you guys, and hopefully set the stage for a much bloggier 2018.
in my life, I…
- Nearly cried when Donald Trump was inaugurated and miss Obama every time I think of the government, politics, the White House, or America in general.
- Started college.
- Moved to New York City.
- Switched majors like 5 times.
- Was published in several campus publications.
- Saw my first snow!
- Started bullet journaling.
- Learned to live on my own. #adulting
in terms of books, I…
- Read a ridiculous number of books for my literature class.
- Read the most books since 2015, according to my Goodreads year in review.
- Cleaned up my Goodreads TBR (inspired by Engie).
- Finally read Illuminae.
- Started reading political/legal nonfiction, like Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s memoir (A+ read) and All The President’s Men (currently).
- My average rating for a book this year was 3.87 wagging tails.
- In my 2015 review post, I said I wanted to read more classics. Well, I didn’t get around to that in 2016, but I sure did this year! I read mostly classics this year, at 37.8% of books read. YA was my second most-read genre this year at 14 books.
- I also didn’t give a single book a 1-star rating this year! Which is great, because I think I’m enjoying the books I’m reading more. That said, I think I’d like to read more crime/thriller/spy novels in 2018.
on the blog, I…
- Wrote 16 posts, including this one. That’s the fewest posts I’ve written on the blog in quite a few years, but, hey, I’ve been busy with, you know, moving to New York and college and all of that.
- Completed 4 years of blogging! That means I’m now in my fifth year of blogging, and I’m incredibly proud of myself for keeping this up for so long. When I started Books & Bark, I always wanted it to be something that would be around for a long time, but I’ve now been writing for nearly half a decade! Of course, none of that would have been possible without you, my wonderful readers. Thank you so much for reading, liking, and commenting on my posts over the years. ❤
- Your most-read post of 2017 was my review of 13 Reasons Why. Now, I’m not a fan of the Netflix show of the same name, and I’m not sure I’d be a fan of the book if I’d read it today instead of four years ago. There are huge problems with the depiction of mental illness and its presentation to teens in the TV show, and possibly in the book. If you’re interested in reading more about why that is, I’d be happy to point you to some articles written by mental health professionals.
- Other posts you liked include I Love Anti-Feminist Fiction, my review of La La Land, my thoughts on inauguration day, and 6 Books To Read in 2017.
in 2018, I will try to…
- Blog more. I’d like to write more about what’s going on in politics. I did quite a bit of that at the beginning of the year, but I’d like to write better, more coherent posts about what’s going on in America.
- Bullet journal (and share my bullet journaling!). I used to run an Instagram account called @booksandbarker, and I’d love to start posting there again. Plus, it’ll give me an excuse to share some of my bullet journal photography.
- Read. I’ve started enjoying classics more and more, but I’m still a part of the YA-sphere. I’d like to read more and write more book reviews while engaging my YA reading followers with some posts about the adult and classic books I now read.
but for now,