The Reading Outside the Box Challenge was started by Alison over at The Cheap Reader, to help teens at her library to explore new books.
So, here are the rules:
- You have all of 2014 to read a book for each square.
- A book can only count for 1 square. There will be 25 books for this challenge.
- The books read for this project can come from other projects you’re participating in: school, review books, other challenge or events, books for fun.
- If you blog, keep a post/page for the challenge. Update the post/page when you read a book for the challenge with a link to your thoughts/review of the book. Make sure to state which square the book counts for!
- If you feel like it, write check in posts every few months. Update us on how you feel about the ‘new’ books you’re reading.
- I’ll keep a page here for people to add review links to. It would be nice to see how others are feeling about the challenge. Add links to your reviews here.
Most of the categories are pretty self explanatory. Here are the details for the ‘questionable’ ones:
- Read a Chunkster: Read a book with 600+ pages.
- Reading by Ear: Listen to an audiobook
- Accidentally Watched the Movie First: You didn’t realize the movie was based on a book until after you watched it. Ideally you haven’t read the book yet.
- Relive the Magic: Reread a book you really enjoyed as a kid but haven’t touched it since then.
- Gathering Dust: You’ve had this book for years and you still haven’t read it.
- Loved By Others: Other people really love this book but for whatever reason you haven’t read it yet.
- Lost in Translation: This book was originally written in another language.
- Second Chance: You read this book a while back and didn’t enjoy it, didn’t finish it, or were on the fence about it. Time to give it another try!
I’m giving it a try. You?
Books I’ve Read So Far:
Links will be to book reviews 🙂
- Relive the Magic: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (LOVED this book… I might just have to reread the whole series 😀 )
- Self-Published: The Secret Life of Dog Catchers (Review and Interview)
- Award Winner: The Giver
- Contemporary Fiction: The Fault in Our Stars
- Romance: Paper Towns
- Lost in Translation: Beowulf
- Science Fiction: What’s Left of Me
- Adult Fiction: The Mountaintop School for Dogs and Other Second Chances (ARC book in exchange for review–thanks HMH!)